Pages

Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Summer Learning Journey | Activity:2 | Week:3 | Overcoming Adversity | (4 Points)

Stephen Hawking (1942-2018) was an English scientist who was interested in studying the
origin (beginning) of the universe. When he was just 21 years old, he was diagnosed with
Motor Neuron Disease and, over time, he lost the ability to walk and talk. He needed to use a
wheelchair to move around and a computer to help him to talk. The computer made his voice
sound a bit funny but, most importantly, it meant he could still communicate with people.
Despite his diagnosis, Stephen Hawking lived a long and very productive life. He showed
great determination and perseverance because he didn’t let his physical challenges stop him.
He didn’t quit. Instead, he ‘overcame the odds’ and achieved a huge amount in his life.
___________________________
What To Do:For this activity, we would like to hear about a time when you, or someone you
know, experienced a challenge and overcame it.
On your blog, recount a time when you or someone you know experienced a challenge and overcame it.
I have a good friend who moved to NZ three years ago as a refugee from Myanmar. She had
been living in Thailand for many years as it was not safe for her to live in Myanmar. When she
moved to NZ she couldn’t speak English. Now, she speaks English really well and she had
just passed her driver’s licence! I’m so proud of her!
________________________________________________________________________
My Work⬇️

My auntie was playing netball so well she overcame it  and was the leader
of her team and when It came to finals she won the big trophy! She was so
happy and everyone was!

8 comments:

  1. Tēnā koe i tēnei ahiahi Kamaea,

    Thanks for another awesome post. Ka pai! :)

    That is so nice to hear how your friend overcame a challenge in her life. That is great news that she passed her driver's license! Go her.

    When is a time that you overcame adversity or a challenge in your life?

    Nga mihi
    Erica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Erica, sorry that was not my work my work was the one with my auntie she passed netball. I think that was another poem that was on the SLJ website sorry. But thanks for the comment. When was a time I overcame adversity to change my life was when I passed a test when I was at school!

      Delete
    2. Kia ora Kamaea,

      Oh silly me - sorry! I see where I got confused.

      That is so awesome to hear what your auntie achieved! I bet she is so happy that her hard work paid off. That's also really cool to hear how you passed a test at school. Was it a test you were nervous about?

      Nga mihi
      Erica

      Delete
  2. Hello Kamaea,
    I am Vitaraag and I am participating in the Summer Learning Journey. I am from the Ako Hiko cluster. I really like how you gave two examples of people who overcame a big difficulty. I also really like how you added a picture of Stephen Hawking to make the blog post way more interesting. When I was at rainbows end there was a roller coaster ride. I decided to go on it with my friend. My sister didn't go on it. After that when the ride was going was so scared. When the ride was finished and we went home I didn't regret the decision I made. Maybe next time you could add a bit more information about the base of the activity. Overall, this is a phenomenal blog post! Keep up the astonishing work!

    Vitaraag

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Vitaraag,Thanks for saying what you like about my blog! And saying what happen to you when you were at Rainbows End with your friend and your sister didn't go on it. I will fix all my work next time. And thanks for the great comment!

      Delete
  3. Hi Kamaea, Mrs Collins from Manaiakalani here commenting on blogs over term break. Well done on posting and participating in the SLJ this year.I really like your narrative about overcoming adversity... it's hard at the time but often rewarding afterwards. Keep blogging, and commenting on others, to increase your chance of winning one of the awesome prizes and to keep up your learning over the school break!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mrs.Collins,Thanks for the astonishing comment!

      Delete
  4. Hello Kamaea,

    Good for your auntie!! I guess hardwork really does pay off. Gosh, she became the team captain and the team ended up winning gold?? That is quite the accomplishment.

    Congratulations to your auntie and her team!
    Riiana

    ReplyDelete