Pages

Monday, January 20, 2020

Summer Learning Journey | Activity:2 | Week:4 | Romeo and Juliet | (4 Points)

William Shakespeare (1564-1616) was an author, poet and playwright. He is best known for the
plays that he wrote while living in England in the 16th Century. Although they were written a long
time ago, they are still popular because they talk about things that are familiar to us - love,
revenge, confusion, betrayal, jealousy, hurt, etc. You might have heard of some of his plays:
Romeo and Juliet, Hamlet, A Midsummer Night’s Dream, King Lear. Many of them have also
been made into movies.
Shakespeare wrote his plays in English, however, it is not the same version of English that we
have now. In fact, many of the words that we use today, in 2019, weren’t used back in 1600
(and vice versa).
___________________________
What To Do:For this activity, we would like you to learn more about ‘Shakespearean English’ -
the version of English that Shakespeare used to write his plays. To do this, please write a short
recount about what you did this morning in regular (2019) English, and then use this translating
tool to turn it into Shakespearean English.
On your blog, share both your English and Shakespearean translation of your recount.
Here is an example:
This morning I got up early when my daughter Laila woke up. We had a delicious breakfast of
steaming hot porridge before heading out the door to start the day. It was cold, sunny and clear
outside.
This m'rning I did get up early at which hour mine own daught'r Laila did wake up. We hadst a
delicious breakfast of steaming hot p'rridge bef're heading out the doth'r to starteth the day. T
wast bitter cold, sunny and cleareth outside.
_________________________________________________________________________________
My Work⬇️
Examples of people waking up:

Normal - In the morning I woke up and I washed my face and brushed my teeth, Then I went to
have breakfast. After I had my breakfast I went to get changed. Then I did my summer learning
journey activity!

Shakespearean English - In the m'rning i did wake up and i wash'd mine own visage and did
brush mine own teeth, then i wenteth to has't breakfast.  Aft'r i hadst mine own breakfast i
wenteth to receiveth hath changed. Then i didst mine own summ'r learning journey activity!
_____________
This was fun too do I just did a example of what I think people do when they wake up I used the
website and this was the Shakespearean English!

4 comments:

  1. Great Shakespearean recount Kamaea...I really like watching Shakespeare plays, I gues because I was born in the same county as him (Warwickshire) and often visited his home town of Stratford-upon-Avon. Mr Collins and I have been to see many of his plays at the pop up globe theatre in Ellerslie - have you ever been? Keep blogging AND commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia ora Kamaea,

    Wow! How different. It's really interesting the difference between words like morning and m'rninig. What words stood out to you as unusual?

    Have you watched or read any of Shake spares work? If so, do you have a favourite of his work? I really enjoy Romeo and Juliet!

    Nga mihi
    Erica

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Kamaea,
    I don't remember the last time I commented on your blog, so it must have been a long time. I really enjoyed reading this blog post! Let me explain why I like it. Firstly, you added the link to the website you translated to old English. Secondly, you described how you felt doing this activity. I usually wake up and just muck around until breakfast. After that I brush my teeth and do Summer Learning Journey comments. Maybe next time you could add who Shakespeare was in your own words. Overall, this is a phenomenal blog post! Keep up the astonishing work!

    Vitaraag

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Kamaea,

    I don't think I'll ever get over Shakespearean English! It's jsut so strange and I love it! What is your ideal breakfast? I would love to know!

    - Riiana

    ReplyDelete